Welcome

My blog is a collection of ideas, thoughts and experiments. I decided to write to express myself and to share with people my interests. I deal with all what comes to my mind. So I speak about everything and nothing. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Growing Deglet Noor Seeds in North Carolina, USA







































Sunday, December 27th, 2009

Deglet Noor is a well known date palm cultivar. It originated from Algeria. It was introduced to the USA early in the 20th century. Well the date palm succeeded to grow in the desert of Coachella Valley in California and some other places like in Texas and Arizona. I am living right now in North Carolina between the the zones of 7 and 8. Well it could survive in zone 8. I personally searched here in North Carolina to find Deglet noor, but unfortunately i did not find. So I got the idea to grow it here myself.

I began this experiment in August 2009. I just bought some Algerian dates and took off their pitts ( seeds). Then I soaked them for two days. After that i placed them in a plastic box with some paper towels. Then they grew and had some roots. Then I placed them into some container with some garden soil. All the containers are inside my house since now it is winter.
Well hope they grow and become trees.
Check my photos.
Please if you are living in North Carolina, we can share some information and work together to make it happen. email me directly at karimr2004@yahoo.fr

No comments:

Post a Comment